The Best Destinations for Travel Nurses: San Juan Puerto Rico

The Best Destinations for Travel Nurses: San Juan Puerto Rico

If you’re in the middle of cold, wet, and sloppy winter, I’ll bet you’re dreaming of a warm getaway. Picture yourself on a beautiful tropical beach in the dead of winter, sipping on a pina colada with your toes buried in warm sand. If you’re a traveling nurse and your idea of wintry paradise does not include scraping ice from your windshield before work, an assignment in Puerto Rico might be just the ticket.

San Juan
Located on the coast of a beautiful tropical island, San Juan is a modern city loaded with old-world charm. The history of the oldest U.S. city* is rooted in rich and colorful culture. On his second voyage in 1493, Christopher Columbus originally named the island “San Juan Bautista” to honor St. John the Baptist. Ponce de León came along and founded a city, which he named Puerto Rico (Rich Port) in 1521. Sometime later, the name of the city and the name of the island were exchanged. The long history creates an intriguing mix of old and new in the city. Modern office buildings give way unexpectedly to centuries-old dwellings, and throngs of tourists waving smartphones and digital cameras provide a startling contrast to colorfully painted ancient constructions.

*St. Augustine, FL, is the oldest city in continental United States.

Things to do
The city is dominated by a 16th-century fort, El Morro (Castillo de San Felipe del Morro) , a six story citadel filled with tunnels, dungeons, barracks, outposts and ramps. The imposing fortress was overcome only once, when the Earl of Cumberland attacked unexpectedly from the land side. The walk through history is well worth the $3 price of admission, and the ocean views from the fort are nothing short of spectacular.

To further explore Puerto Rican history, art, and culture, visit the San Juan Museum of Art and History. It began life as a market in 1855, and was rebuilt in 1979 as a cultural center, featuring native art and music. Concerts and festivals are held there throughout the year.

For a shopping experience, it’s hard to beat the 300 retailers located in the Plaza las Americas, a modern mall graced with elegant architecture and everything you’d expect to find at a mainland mall.

And then there are the beaches. Miles and miles of fine white sand, blue skies and bluer water, gentle waves and an endlessly breathtaking ocean view. It’s warm all year round, so taking a travel assignment in Puerto Rico from January – March gives a whole new meaning to the winter blues.

Area Hospitals
San Juan boasts many modern medical facilities, and one of the nicest is the Doctor’s Center Hospital, which has three area locations. With a diet center, a cancer center, a cardiovascular lab, a nuclear medicine facility and several other specialized care wings, the hospital provides the kind of quality care your patients expect and deserve.

The best thing about being a travel nurse is the opportunity to experience new things, and the wealth of culture and history, the delicious cuisine, and the tropical setting makes Puerto Rico a great choice…especially in the winter.

23 responses to “The Best Destinations for Travel Nurses: San Juan Puerto Rico”

1. Trecia Godinich says:

I am interested in a travel position in Puerto Rico.

2. Helen Casillas says:

I am interested in travel nursing in san juan puerto rico I am a Registered Nurse, please let me know soon if its posible. Thank you

3. Annette Borowiec says:

I worked seven years in ED in IL and now I work in HI as a travel RN. Please let me know if you have any opportunities in Peurto Rico. Thank you.

4. sylvia says:

I am interested in working as a LPN in Puerto Rico. Please let me know.

5. Joan Ayala says:

I want to work in Puerto Rico

6. Betsy says:

Please send me information about travel nurse jobs in Puerto Rico!

7. Jasmine says:

Hello, I am Registered Nurse. I have experience working in medial surgical units, community nursing, and currently work as a clinical research nurse coordinator. I am looking to work abroad as a nurse. I would love to get more information on the opportunities available.

8. Melissa Reese says:

I am very interested in a travel assignment to San Juan Puerto Rico. I have been working as a travel nurse for 4 years in Med-Surg/Tele. Also please let me know about obtaining a nursing license in PR. Thank you
    Melissa “Nikki” Reese

9. Faye says:

I am learning much information through your post. I adore your writing skills!

10. Magdalena Uyterhoeven says:

Rn de Florida interesada en travel assigment en Puerto Rico

11. Armando Ramirez says:

I am interested in a travel nurse assignment to Puerto Rico. Would like some information as well.

12. Vincent Shifflett says:

I am interested in nursing positions in Puerto Rico. Thanks for the information

13. Katharine Oneill says:

I am interested in learning more about an RN assignment in PR.
    Please send me some information?

14. Sunny Ray says:

I am a LPN looking for a travel position in Puerto Rico, I also have a travel buddy LPN that is interested. With the recent disasters, I would love to help.
    Sunny

15. Jayne Thompson says:

I am a RN license in Florida with a MSN/ED Critical Care. I am interested in a travel assignment in Puerto Rico

16. Tamara Perez says:

I’m interested in a travel nurse assignment to PR.

17. Jodi says:

I am interested in a lpn position in Puerto Rico. Please send me some info. Thank you

18. Betty M REYMOLDS says:

I am also interested in doing some traveling nursing in Puerto Rico. Please send me some information.

19. Betty M REYMOLDS says:

I am a experienc RN,with 30 years of experience as a RN,10 yrs of experience as a LPN. BEFORE I became a RN . Thanks very much.BETTY M.REYNOLDS

20. Debra Bourgeois says:

Given the recent disasters in PR, I realize that nursing and medical services would be the priority but let me know if there might be opportunities for SLPs in a medical setting-hospital, SNF, etc.
    Thank you.

21. Colette Cook says:

Can someone explain to me the process for obtaining a PR nursing license. My fiancé is looking to do line work to help rebuild after the hurricane. I would like to go work him. I have 22 years OR experience and would be looking for a travel position. Thanks.

22. naomi cherian says:

Hello,

I’m interested in nursing as an ED nurse in San Juan. I have 3 years of ED experience. What is the process for this if I have a compact Texas nursing license? I am a BSN as well. Please let me know, thank you!

Naomi Cherian

23. Sherry Lugo Hernandez says:

Lpn looking for travel assignments. Wanting to go to PR. Just finished 2 covid assignments.