Location: New Orleans, LA
Traveling Medical Technologist
Under the direction of the Shift Supervisor, the Medical Technologist Generalist is responsible for performing and reporting on a variety of routine and/or complex tests on clinical specimens in the areas of Chemistry, Hematology, Blood Bank and Microbiology. Specimens include, but not limited to Blood, Urine, Body Fluids, Respiratory, Wound, Genital, and Blood Cultures.
- Performs a wide range of testing on specimens using highly complex, automated systems in the areas of Chemistry, Immunochemistry, Hematology, Coagulation, and Urinalysis.
- Performs work in a timely manner according to established procedures. Notifies supervisor immediately whenever there are issues that may cause prolonged reporting of results.
- Verifies completion of testing with immediate notification to the health care team of critical values. Follows proper documentation guidelines for reporting results. Initiates the generation of reports and resolves problems with overdue tests and pending logs.
- Maintains highly automated instrumentation in good working order following scheduled maintenance checklists. Maintains departmental check lists to include temperature, inventory control, and safety checklists.
- Documents work thoroughly and accurately in the LIS. Follows appropriate procedures in documenting work.
- Performs QC procedures according to established policies. Informs supervisor of any non-compliance.
- Troubleshoot instrumentation as well as problem specimens utilizing critical thinking skills.
- Assists the technical supervisor with procedures, CAP checklists, Proficiency Testing, and new instrumentation.
- Fills the role of Tech-In-Charge in the absence of the Technical Specialist.
Registry eligible for certification as a Medical Technologist, Medical Laboratory Scientist or Clinical Laboratory Scientist by ASCP or NCA.
Required Skills, Knowledge, and Abilities
Highly discrete, able to routinely handle Personal Health Information (PHI) appropriately.
Highly organized with a high proficiency in computer software.
Excellent oral and written communication skills, ability to handle multiple projects at one time and meet deadlines. Strong ability to problem-solve instrument as well as sample issues.
Ability to interact with the public, works cooperatively with peers as well as members of Leadership and Medical Staff, and creates and maintains positive working relationships with coworkers.
Excellent organizational, communication, and critical thinking skills a must. Strong attention to detail.
Ability to work independently on assigned tasks as well as accepting direction on given assignments.
Medical Technologist (ASCP) with 2-3 years generalist experience in hospital environment.
Please email your resume to firstname.lastname@example.org
Equal Opportunity Employer Minorities/Women/Veterans/Disabled